Saturday, June 18, 2011

Green Lantern...it's the place to be...


Finally!! I have seen the Green Lantern movie...and it was good. 



I didn't have the highest hopes going into this movie after seeing how lousy the trailers were.  But even when the content from the trailer was seen in the movie it all came together.  Ryan Reynolds silliness actually worked for me, creating a deadpan Hal Jordan that is far more likable than the one in the comics.




Granted, I might be a little biased as I am a huge Green Lantern fan and the fact that so much of Geoff Johns current continuity is incorporated was all the better for me.  The plethora of GLs on OA was so awesome to see...I actually became giddy at that point.  Now Oa is a little darker and a little more organic than I would have preferred but still it was nearly as amazing as Asgard in Thor.


As with X-Men First Class, don't go into this expecting strict comic book continuity.  Think of this as the "Ultimate Green Lantern" and you'll be fine.  Much of the origin is the same and many of our favorite GL characters are there, but don't expect Superman or Green Arrow to come swooping in with a helping hand any time soon.



The Guardians did not disappoint.  They were as grumpy and short sighted as ever.  And those see through heads are freaky.  Their design was one of the better aspects of the production of the movie.  They looked truly ancient and entitled... But **Spoiler** (we really don't get to seem them cut loose with their power in this film.  Maybe they'll go all Yoda in the sequel).



All in all though, there was very little to be disappointed about.  This was a origin story and it pretty much stuck to that.  You learned about Hal and what a Green Lantern can do.  And that is all I really expect out of the first movie in these franchises.  But next time, I want to see what the Corp and the Guardians can do!


As for the 3D?  Well, like Thor, it really wasn't needed.  I kind of forgot I was watching a 3D movie half way through.  If you're a die hard like myself, go for the 3D, if not...skip it and save your eyes and watch the flat screen.



So, until next time...and please let there be a next time, This starter movie was well worth the price of admission.

No comments:

Search This Blog